18. December 2014
Delivery of the 1st two TIGER HAD/E Helicopters for Spain
A major milestone in the TIGER Programme was achieved on the 18 December 2014 with the delivery of the first two HAD/E helicopters to Spain during a ceremony involving the Spanish TIGER Programme Committee representative General Roberto Soria Martínez. This followed the granting of the HAD Block 1 Qualification to the TIGER HAD helicopter version by the OCCAR-EA TIGER Programme Division on 15 December 2014.
These two helicopters are the first TIGERs produced on the final assembly line in Airbus Helicopters España (AHE) facilities in Albacete, in the region of La Mancha. This factory also manufactures equipped tail booms for the whole TIGER fleet.
© Pablo Manuel Rada / Airbus Helicopters
The helicopters will be operated by the “Batallón de Helicópteros de Ataque I” (BHELA I) in Almagro (Spain), in addition to the six TIGER HAP/E already in service in the unit, and will provide a range of new capabilities to the Spanish Army, including:
- An increased take-off weight up to 6.6T, thanks to new MTR-390E engines with increased power;
- New IFF subsystem capable of Mode 5 and Mode S;
- A more advanced avionics suite which includes modern crypto systems and allows long distance communication;
- An improved sight system (STRIX-HAD);
- Last but not least, upgraded armaments, with two Air to Ground missile systems (Spike ER and Hellfire).